Viewing entries in
BLACK BARK FILMS
If you missed us on Ujima Radio 98fm last month - worry not! Click the link below and find us in the first half an hour of the Women's Outlook show on Wednesday 26th June (but we'd recommend listening on for the rest of the show too). Big shout outs to people we've worked with and admire: Viki Browne, Many Minds, In Our Hands, Landworkers' Alliance, Sims Hill Shared Harvest, Save Hamilton House and Kim Loginotto.
In June we were invited by the lovely folk at St Werburgh’s City Farm in Bristol to give a talk about filmmaking. A huge thanks to Kat and the farm for inviting us, to those who came and shared their own stories and questions, and to the great work of the farm in general. You can see a film we made for the farm a couple of years ago below.
We’re happy to say our filmmaking has come on leaps and bounds since then and it was a real honour to be able to talk openly and honestly about our own personal journeys with filmmaking and how it shapes our collaborative, sensitive approach to our work. The beautiful footage below is from the amazingly talented Florence Pellacani. And the still above is from Soul Media/St. Werbughs City Farm.
we’re so excited that our first feature length documentary ’In Our Hands’ (2017) has been shown internationally at Courage Film Festival 2018, Berlin (Germany), New Earth International Film Festival 2018, Krakov (Poland), Life Sciences Film Festival 2018, Prague (Czech Republic), and the British Documentary Film Festival, London (UK).
IT’s also currently oj tour in Austria with Hunger Macht Profite and has seen around 200 community screenings across the UK in the past year.
2018 has been a big one for Black Bark Films - have a look at our highlights below. In 2019 we would love to collaborate more, so if you have ideas for projects, shorts or promos that you are dying to get out there do get in contact.
- Our first feature length documentary made in association with the Landworkers' Alliance In Our Hands, was shown by communities across the UK from Cornwall to the Scottish Highlands over 300 times! This look at food and farming in the UK post Brexit was also officially selected for the British Documentary Film Festival in London, New Earth International Film Festival in Krakow, Life Sciences Film Festival in Prague and Courage Film Festival in Berlin. Keep your eye out for more screenings on the In Our Hands page.
- Our first international shoot to accompany Gerald Myles from COCA in Pembrokeshire to Germany for a 33,000 strong demonstration in support of small scale farming - included filming Gerald ride a tractor through the streets of Berlin!
- Continuing to support and document the work of the Land Workers' Alliance at their AGM.
- Received funding to begin exploring our relationship with land and land ownership in the UK, working alongside the Land Justice Network.
- We've loved working with our favourite camera person Florence Pellacani on many of these projects.
We are working with performance artist Viki Browne to explore what it means to perform femininity whilst feeling safe, in a multidisciplinary performance layering projection and live video relay over live performance. We are currently in a research and development phase during Viki’s residency at Trinity Bristol for January 2019.
Watch this space for a teaser to follow soon…
Working with the Save Hamilton House Campaign, we put together this film about community ownership and the opportunities that could arise out of the sale of iconic Hamilton House community in Bristol's Stokes Croft.